As many of you know, last week we launched an effort to coordinate several women’s business groups in Phoenix (PhXX Forward). It was a great success and was very clearly a starting point for something big.
I have been honored by the positive feedback and emails that I have received. One in particular I had to share. Paula Cullsion attended last week. She is a long time advocate for Arizona women. She was moved by the event and drafted some of her wisdom down. I didn’t want to keep it all to myself! Below is Paula’s recommendations for Arizona women business owners and her contact information:
Comments from Paula G. Cullison
Background: corporate / entrepreneur / non-profit
Success depends on the following … with the contrary resulting in the opposite:
- Have a well developed and realistic business plan which has been professionally critiqued.
- Have sufficient capital to make it a reality. Understand how much you need / have.
- Set a realistic time frame and realistic financial goal.
- Understand your competition.
- Evaluate and utilize existing support networks (e.g. women’s business organizations, AZ Small
- Business Association, Chambers of Commerce, US-SBA, civic organizations, online education
- forums, etc.) for business contacts and business education seminars and workshops.
- Always carry an ample supply of business cards that explain your business.
- Develop a savvy marketing and PR sense. Know the Media.
- Design a professional website, LinkedIn and facebook page. Post regularly.
- Be passionate about what you do. Develop a brief ‘elevator’ (descriptive) speech
- about your business.
- Serve on a Committee or Board of Directors for a business or non-profit organization.
- Speak Up and Speak Often: speak at various meeting which are business related.
- Ask to be on the program. Take the initiative. This builds self-confidence.
- WORK IT and WORK AT IT.
I love that Paula attended and was moved into sharing her business wisdom. Our community is filled with many great women like Paula. Thank you Paula for your wisdom!